Talia - ܛܠܝܐ (d. 421)
http://syriaca.org/person/1494 This page is an entry in Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints
Talia was the child of Sabellius and Shapira, who had him at the age of 52. A revelation predicted that Talia, at age two, would kill impious kings. This news reached the ears of the governor, and they were all arrested. The child was tried and tortured multiple times, and his parents were stoned. He was cut in many pieces, but still found intact. He was finally killed after many ordeals, and his example converted people. He was a martyr at age two. A shrine at Romaniya was built to him.
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 Ugo Zanetti and Claude Detienne, Bibliotheca Hagiographica Syriaca, entry: 976.
- 2 Jean Maurice Fiey, Saints Syriaques (Princeton, N.J.: The Darwin Press, Inc., 2004), entry: 435.
- 3 Cornelia B Horn, "Children and Violence in Syriac Sources: The “Martyrdom of Mar Talya of Cyrrhus” in the Light of Literary and Theological Implications." Parole de l'Orient vol. 31 (2006).
- 4 Sergey Minov (ed.), A Comprehensive Bibliography on Syriac Christianity (The Center for the Study of Christianity, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2013), entry: Mar Talya of Cyrrhus.
How to Cite This Entry
Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent et al., “Talia — ܛܠܝܐ ” in Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints last modified August 17, 2016, http://syriaca.org/person/1494.Show full citation information...
Bibliography:Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent et al., “Talia — ܛܠܝܐ .” In Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints, edited by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent and David A. Michelson. Vol. 1 of Gateway to the Syriac Saints, edited by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent et al.. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/1494.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Talia — ܛܠܝܐ
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- David A. Michelson, general editor, Syriaca.org: The Syriac Reference Portal
- Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent and David A. Michelson, editors, Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints
- Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent and David A. Michelson, entry contributors, “Talia — ܛܠܝܐ ”
- Editing, proofreading, data entry and revision by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent
- Data architecture and encoding by David A. Michelson
- Editing, Syriac data conversion, data entry, and reconciling by Adam P. Kane
- Editing and Syriac data proofreading by Aram Bar Schabo
- Entries adapted from the work of Jean Maurice Fiey
- Entries adapted from the work of Ugo Zanetti
- Entries adapted from the work of Claude Detienne
Copyright and License for Reuse
Except otherwise noted, this page is © 2016.
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.