Melito of Sardis - ܡܝܠܝܛܘܢ (sometime between 100 - 300)
http://syriaca.org/person/631 This page is an entry in A Guide to Syriac Authors
“Meliton is the presumed author of a short ‘Oration (memrā) before Antoninus Caesar’, preserved in ms. Brit. Libr. Add 14,658, the same ms. which also is our sole witness for the ‘Book of the laws of the countries’ associated with Bardaiṣan and for the ‘Letter of Mara bar Serapion’. ” 1
- Melito of Sardis
- Bischof Meliton von Sardes
- Melito of Sardis2
- Melito of Sardis2
- Meliton the Philosopher1
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 L. Van Rompay, "Meliton the Philosopher." in Sebastian P. Brock et al. (eds.), The Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2011), pp: 284-285.
- 2 Sergey Minov (ed.), A Comprehensive Bibliography on Syriac Christianity (The Center for the Study of Christianity, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2013), entry: Melito.
- 3 Anton Baumstark, Geschichte der syrischen Literatur mit Ausschluß der christlich-palästinensischen Texte (Bonn: A. Marcus und E. Webers Verlag Dr. jur. Albert Ahn, 1922), pp: 27.
How to Cite This Entry
James E. Walters et al., “Melito of Sardis — ܡܝܠܝܛܘܢ ” in A Guide to Syriac Authors last modified August 17, 2016, http://syriaca.org/person/631.Show full citation information...
Bibliography:James E. Walters et al., “Melito of Sardis — ܡܝܠܝܛܘܢ .” In A Guide to Syriac Authors, edited by David A. Michelson and Nathan P. Gibson. Vol. 2 of The Syriac Biographical Dictionary, edited by David A. Michelson. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/631.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Melito of Sardis — ܡܝܠܝܛܘܢ
- Data from Macuch, Abuna, De Urbina, Duval, Assemani (vols. 1-2), Chabot, Wright, and Brock collected, verified, reconciled, and entered by Kristian Heal
- German data entry by Samer Khader
- Editing, document design, proofreading, data entry by David A. Michelson
- Matching with viaf.org records, data entry, data transformation, conversion to XML by Nathan P. Gibson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English name entry, matching with viaf.org records by James E. Walters
- Editing, Arabic name entry, disambiguation research, conversion to XML by Thomas A. Carlson
- Normalization of GEDSH dates and entry matching with viaf.org records by Alex Vawter
- Editorial oversight for GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry, and proofreading by Christopher Johnson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry and proofreading by the Syriac Research Group, University of Alabama
- Proofreading of GEDSH abstracts and addition of confessions and alternate names from GEDSH by Nathan P. Gibson
Copyright and License for Reuse
Except otherwise noted, this page is © 2016.
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.