Denha - ܕܢܚܐ (sometime between 750 - 950)
http://syriaca.org/person/444 This page is an entry in A Guide to Syriac Authors
Assemani puts this Denha in the 8th century, but he must have rather been active in the 9th century if he is the person meant by John bar Zoʿbi, who (in a British Library manuscript catalogued by Wright) identified the Denha who authored a commentary on Aristotle's Analytics as a disciple of the Church of the East catholicos Ishoʿ bar Nun. Barsoum's identification of this Denha with an apparently West Syriac Denha who wrote a certain treatise against heretics is to be questioned. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 S. D. Ryan, "Denḥa." in Sebastian P. Brock et al. (eds.), The Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2011), entry: 161, pp: 118.
- 2 ʿAbdishoʿ bar Brikha, Ktābā d-metqre margānitā d-ʿal šrārā da-kresṭyānutā, 2nd ed. (Mosul: Mṭabbaʿtā ātoraytā d-ʿēdtā ʿattiqtā d-madnḥā, 1924), pp: 76.
- 3 Anton Baumstark, Geschichte der syrischen Literatur mit Ausschluß der christlich-palästinensischen Texte (Bonn: A. Marcus und E. Webers Verlag Dr. jur. Albert Ahn, 1922), pp: 220.
- 4 J.S. Assemani, De scriptoribus Syris Nestorianis, Bibliotheca orientalis Clementino-Vaticana vol. 3 (Rome, 1725), pp: 175.
- 5 William Wright, A Short History of Syriac Literature (London: Adam and Charles Black, 1894), pp: 218-219.
- 6 Rubens Duval, La littérature syriaque, Troisième Edition , Anciennes littératures chrétiennes, vol. 2; Bibliothèque de l'enseignement de l'histoire ecclésiastique (Paris: Librairie Victor Lecoffre, 1907), pp: 387-388.
- 7 William Wright, Catalogue of Syriac Manuscripts in the British Museum acquired since the year 1838 (London: Gilbert and Rivington, 1870-1872), vol: 3, pp: 1176.
Denha Possibly identical (1) records.
How to Cite This Entry
James E. Walters et al., “Denha — ܕܢܚܐ ” in A Guide to Syriac Authors last modified August 17, 2016, http://syriaca.org/person/444.Show full citation information...
Bibliography:James E. Walters et al., “Denha — ܕܢܚܐ .” In A Guide to Syriac Authors, edited by David A. Michelson and Nathan P. Gibson. Vol. 2 of The Syriac Biographical Dictionary, edited by David A. Michelson. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/444.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Denha — ܕܢܚܐ
- Data from Macuch, Abuna, De Urbina, Duval, Assemani (vols. 1-2), Chabot, Wright, and Brock collected, verified, reconciled, and entered by Kristian Heal
- German data entry by Samer Khader
- Editing, document design, proofreading, data entry by David A. Michelson
- Matching with viaf.org records, data entry, data transformation, conversion to XML by Nathan P. Gibson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English name entry, matching with viaf.org records by James E. Walters
- Editing, Syriac name entry, disambiguation research, conversion to XML by Thomas A. Carlson
- Normalization of GEDSH dates and entry matching with viaf.org records by Alex Vawter
- Editorial oversight for GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry, and proofreading by Christopher Johnson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry and proofreading by the Syriac Research Group, University of Alabama
Copyright and License for Reuse
Except otherwise noted, this page is © 2016.
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.