“Ṣawma was a monk of the Ch. of E. who, sometime around 1275, set out from Dadu (also known as Khān Bālīq, i.e. modern Beijing) in his native China with a younger disciple, Markos, on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.” 1
- Ch. of E. 1
- Sauma, Rabban is commemorated in Yahballaha and Sauma (text) — [http://syriaca.org/work/895] . ()3
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 J. P. Amar, " Ṣawma, Rabban," in Sebastian P. Brock et al. (eds.), The Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage ( Piscataway, NJ: Gorgias Press, 2011) http://syriaca.org/bibl/484, pp: 360-361.
- 2 Sergey Minov (ed.), A Comprehensive Bibliography on Syriac Christianity ( The Center for the Study of Christianity, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2013) http://syriaca.org/bibl/5, entry: Rabban Sauma.
- 3 Ugo Zanetti and Claude Detienne, Bibliotheca Hagiographica Syriaca http://syriaca.org/bibl/649, entry: 689.
- 4 Anton Baumstark, Geschichte der syrischen Literatur mit Ausschluß der christlich-palästinensischen Texte ( Bonn: A. Marcus und E. Webers Verlag Dr. jur. Albert Ahn, 1922) http://syriaca.org/bibl/638, pp: 325.
31 Catalog Search Results from WorldCat
Based on VIAF ID. May contain inaccuracies. Not curated by Syriaca.org.
- The monks of Kublai Khan, Emperor of China : medieval travels from China through Central Asia to Persia and beyond
- The Monks of Kûblâi Khân, Emperor of China : or, The history of the life and travels of Rabban Ṣâwmâ, envoy and plenipotentiary of the Mongol khâns to the kings of Europe, and Markôs who as Mâr Yahbh-Allâhâ III became Patriarch of the Nestorian Church in Asia
- Die Mönche des Kublai Khan : die Reise der Pilger Mar Yahballaha und Rabban Sauma nach Europa
- Istorija mar Jabalachi III i rabban Saumy
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:Saint-Laurent, Jeanne-Nicole et al., “ Sauma, Rabban — ܪܒܢ ܨܘܡܐ .” In Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints, edited by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent, David A. Michelson and Nathan P. Gibson. Vol. 1 of The Syriac Biographical Dictionary, edited by David A. Michelson. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/721.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Sauma, Rabban — ܪܒܢ ܨܘܡܐ
Publication Date: August 17, 2016
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- David A. Michelson, general editor, Syriaca.org: The Syriac Reference Portal
- Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent, David A. Michelson, and Nathan P. Gibson, editors, Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints
- Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent, David A. Michelson, Nathan P. Gibson, James E. Walters, Thomas A. Carlson, and Kristian Heal, entry contributors, “ Sauma, Rabban — ܪܒܢ ܨܘܡܐ ”
- Data from Macuch, Abuna, De Urbina, Duval, Assemani (vols. 1-2), Chabot, Wright, and Brock collected, verified, reconciled, and entered by Kristian Heal
- German data entry by Samer Khader
- Editing, proofreading, data entry and revision by Jeanne-Nicole Saint-Laurent
- Editing, document design, data architecture, encoding, proofreading, data entry by David A. Michelson
- Proofreading of GEDSH abstracts, addition of confessions and alternate names from GEDSH, matching with viaf.org records, data entry, data transformation, data merging, conversion to XML by Nathan P. Gibson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English name entry, matching with viaf.org records by James E. Walters
- Editing, Syriac name entry, disambiguation research, conversion to XML by Thomas A. Carlson
- Editing, Syriac data conversion, data entry, and reconciling by Adam P. Kane
- Editing and Syriac data proofreading by Aram Bar Schabo
- Syriac name entry by Robert Aydin
- Normalization of GEDSH dates and entry matching with viaf.org records by Alex Vawter
- Editorial oversight for GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry, and proofreading by Christopher Johnson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry and proofreading by the Syriac Research Group, University of Alabama
- Entries adapted from the work of J. M. Fiey
- Entries adapted from the work of Ugo Zanetti
- Entries adapted from the work of Claude Detienne