ʿAbdelmasih - ܥܒܕܐܠܡܣܝܚ(d. 390) saint
ʿAbdelmasiḥ was a Jewish shepherd boy (formally known as Aser) who lived near Sinjar in the Persian Empire. He converted to Christianity and pierced his ear to put on an earring, apparently the sign of slavery. He was martyred by his father.
- Martyr 2
- The saint is venerated on Syr., hazir. 27 (BHO).2
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 Ugo Zanetti and Claude Detienne, Bibliotheca Hagiographica Syriaca, entry: 9, 1948.
- 2 Jean Maurice Fiey, Saints Syriaques ( Princeton, N.J.: The Darwin Press, Inc., 2004), entry: 10.
- 3 Jean-Maurice Fiey, "Encore 'Abdulmasih de Singar," Le Muséon vol. 77 (1964), : 205-23. Note: The primary texts (Syriac, Armenien, Arabic) and the studies are indicated in .
- 4 Pontificia Università lateranense and Istituto Giovanni XXIII, Bibliotheca sanctorum (Roma: Istituto Giovanni XXIII nella Pontificia Università lateranense, 1961-1970), : I, 48-49.
- 5 Jean Maurice Fiey, "A travers l'hagiographie syriaque," Mélanges de l'Institut dominicain d'études orientales vol. 23 (1997), : 461-62.
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:Saint-Laurent, Jeanne-Nicole et al., “ʿAbdelmasih — ܥܒܕܐܠܡܣܝܚ .” In Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints, edited by Jeanne-Nicole Saint-Laurent and David A. Michelson. Entry published August 17, 2016. Syriaca.org: The Syriac Reference Portal, edited by David A. Michelson. http://syriaca.org/person/1102.
About this Entry
Entry Title: ʿAbdelmasih — ܥܒܕܐܠܡܣܝܚ
Publication Date: August 17, 2016
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- David A. Michelson, general editor, Syriaca.org: The Syriac Reference Portal
- Jeanne-Nicole Saint-Laurent and David A. Michelson, editors, Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints
- Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent, David A. Michelson, and James E. Walters, entry contributors, “ʿAbdelmasih — ܥܒܕܐܠܡܣܝܚ ”
- Editing, proofreading, data entry and revision by Jeanne-Nicole Saint-Laurent
- Data architecture and encoding by David A. Michelson
- Editing, Syriac data conversion, data entry, and reconciling by Adam P. Kane
- Editing and Syriac data proofreading by Aram Bar Schabo
- Editing by James E. Walters
- Entries adapted from the work of J. M. Fiey
- Entries adapted from the work of Ugo Zanetti
- Entries adapted from the work of Claude Detienne