ʿAbdelmasih - ܥܒܕܐܠܡܣܝܚ (d. 390)
http://syriaca.org/person/1102 This page is an entry in Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints
ʿAbdelmasiḥ was a Jewish shepherd boy (formally known as Aser) who lived near Sinjar in the Persian Empire. He converted to Christianity and pierced his ear to put on an earring, apparently the sign of slavery. He was martyred by his father.
- Abd al-Masih
- ABD AL-MASİḤ ('ABDA, CHRISTODULE)2
- Martyr 2
- The saint is venerated on Syr., hazir. 27 (BHO). 2
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 Ugo Zanetti and Claude Detienne, Bibliotheca Hagiographica Syriaca, entry: 9, 1948.
- 2 Jean Maurice Fiey, Saints Syriaques (Princeton, N.J.: The Darwin Press, Inc., 2004), entry: 10.
- 3 Jean-Maurice Fiey, "Encore 'Abdulmasih de Singar." Le Muséon vol. 77 (1964)., : 205-23. Note: The primary texts (Syriac, Armenien, Arabic) and the studies are indicated in .
- 4 Pontificia Università lateranense and Istituto Giovanni XXIII, Bibliotheca sanctorum (Roma: Istituto Giovanni XXIII nella Pontificia Università lateranense, 1961-1970)., : I, 48-49.
- 5 Jean Maurice Fiey, "A travers l'hagiographie syriaque." Mélanges de l'Institut dominicain d'études orientales vol. 23 (1997)., : 461-62.
How to Cite This Entry
Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent et al., “ʿAbdelmasih — ܥܒܕܐܠܡܣܝܚ ” in Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints last modified August 17, 2016, http://syriaca.org/person/1102.Show full citation information...
Bibliography:Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent et al., “ʿAbdelmasih — ܥܒܕܐܠܡܣܝܚ .” In Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints, edited by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent and David A. Michelson. Vol. 1 of Gateway to the Syriac Saints, edited by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent et al.. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/1102.
About this Entry
Entry Title: ʿAbdelmasih — ܥܒܕܐܠܡܣܝܚ
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- David A. Michelson, general editor, Syriaca.org: The Syriac Reference Portal
- Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent and David A. Michelson, editors, Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints
- Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent, David A. Michelson, and James E. Walters, entry contributors, “ʿAbdelmasih — ܥܒܕܐܠܡܣܝܚ ”
- Editing, proofreading, data entry and revision by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent
- Data architecture and encoding by David A. Michelson
- Editing, Syriac data conversion, data entry, and reconciling by Adam P. Kane
- Editing and Syriac data proofreading by Aram Bar Schabo
- Editing by James E. Walters
- Entries adapted from the work of Jean Maurice Fiey
- Entries adapted from the work of Ugo Zanetti
- Entries adapted from the work of Claude Detienne
Copyright and License for Reuse
Except otherwise noted, this page is © 2016.
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.