ʿAbda - ܥܒܕܐ(d. 376) saint
ʿAbdā Alaha, priest, was tortured with ʿAbdishōʿ by Ardashir, brother of Sapor; ʿAbdā was arrested with seven friends and seven virgins. Barḥaḏbshabā and Samuel also were executed. Then ʿAbdishōʿ and ʿAbdā Alaha were executed. They were buried by Byzantine slaves in a neighboring village. He was martyred with 38 companions.
- Martyr 2
- The saint is venerated on 16 May in East Syrian church. ()2
- ʿAbda is commemorated in ʿAbda, ʿAbdisho, and their Friends (text) [http://syriaca.org/work/283] . ()2
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 Ugo Zanetti and Claude Detienne, Bibliotheca Hagiographica Syriaca http://syriaca.org/bibl/649, entry: 62.
- 2 Jean Maurice Fiey, Saints Syriaques ( Princeton, N.J.: The Darwin Press, Inc., 2004) http://syriaca.org/bibl/650, entry: 8.
- 3 Paul Bedjan (ed.), Acta martyrum et sanctorum ( Parisiis; Lipsiae: Harrasssowitz, 1890), : II, 325-48.
- 4 Paul Peeters and Société de Bollandistes, Bibliotheca hagiographica orientalis ( 1910), : 5.
- 5 Addai Scher, Kitāb ašhar šuhadā' al-mašriq (Vies des saints martyrs d'Orient ( Mossoul, 1900), : I, 357-68.
- 6 Stefano Evodio Assemani, Acta Sanctorum Martyrum Orientalium et Occidentalium vol. 1 ( Typis Josephi Collini, 1748), : 144-60.
- 7 F. LaGrange, Actes Des Martyrs d'Orient ( 1852), : 109-93.
- 8 Henri Leclercq, Les martyrs; recuiel de pièces sur les martyrs depuis les origines du christianisme jusqu'au XXe siècle; ( Paris: H. Oudin, 1902), : III, 207-19.
- 9 Georg Hoffmann, Auszüge aus syrischen Akten persischer Märtyrer ( Leipzig: Brockhaus, 1880), : 34-36.
- 10 Pontificia Università lateranense and Istituto Giovanni XXIII, Bibliotheca sanctorum ( Roma: Istituto Giovanni XXIII nella Pontificia Università lateranense, 1961-1970), : I, 42-43.
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:Saint-Laurent, Jeanne-Nicole et al., “ ʿAbda — ܥܒܕܐ .” In Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints, edited by Jeanne-Nicole Saint-Laurent and David A. Michelson. Vol. 1 of Gateway to the Syriac Saints, edited by Jeanne-Nicole Saint-Laurent et al.. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/1099.
About this Entry
Entry Title: ʿAbda — ܥܒܕܐ
Publication Date: August 17, 2016
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- David A. Michelson, general editor, Syriaca.org: The Syriac Reference Portal
- Jeanne-Nicole Saint-Laurent and David A. Michelson, editors, Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints
- Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent, David A. Michelson, and James E. Walters, entry contributors, “ ʿAbda — ܥܒܕܐ ”
- Editing, proofreading, data entry and revision by Jeanne-Nicole Saint-Laurent
- Data architecture and encoding by David A. Michelson
- Editing, Syriac data conversion, data entry, and reconciling by Adam P. Kane
- Editing and Syriac data proofreading by Aram Bar Schabo
- Editing by James E. Walters
- Entries adapted from the work of J. M. Fiey
- Entries adapted from the work of Ugo Zanetti
- Entries adapted from the work of Claude Detienne