Gawikat - ܕܝܪܐ ܕܓܘܝܟܐܬ
A monastery in Cilicia.
- “ܒܓܶܢܒ ܡܣܝܣܛܐ ܒܩܝܺܠܝܩܝܰܐ ܕܟܺܝܪ ܫܢܬ 1208 ܘܡܶܢܗ ܗܘܰܘ ܬܪܶܝܢ ܦܰܛܪܝܰܪ̈ܟܐ ܐܺܝܓܢܰܐܛܝܘܣ ܪܒܺܝܥܳܝܐ 1282 ܘܡܝܟܳܐܝܠ ܬܪܰܝܳܢܐ 1312 . ܘܒܗ ܐܶܬܬܰܫܠܡ ܦܝܠܠܘܟܣܝܢ ܬܪܰܝܳܢܐ ܙܡܳܡܐ ܕܦܰܛܪܝܰܪܟܘܬܐ ܫܢܰܬ 1389” 2
- “بجانب المصيصة في قيليقية ذكر سنة 1208 ومنه نشأ البطريركان اغناطيوس الرابع 1282+ وميخائيل الثاني 1312+ وفيه تقلد فيلكسين الثاني زمام البطريركية عام 1389.” 3
- “near al-Maṣṣīṣa in Cilicia, was first mentioned in history in 1208. Two Patriarchs, Ignatius IV (d. 1282) and Michael II (d. 1312), came from it. It was in this monastery also that Phelixene II was consecrated as Patriarch in 1389.” 4
Dolabani's printer misread his kaph as a beth, and Dolabani transcribed Barsoum's Arabic kaph as a Syriac kaph rather than as a gomal.
Earlier editions of Barsoum's Arabic erroneously printed the waw as a raʾ.
Moosa's transcription "Kuwaykhat" should read "Gawikat".
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 Sebastian P. Brock et al. (eds.), The Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2011), p: 35.
- 2 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, Berule bdire d-ʿal yulpone suryoye hdire, trans. Philoxenos Yuḥanon Dolabani, 2nd ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1991), p: 552.
- 3 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, al-Luʼluʼ al-manthūr fī tārīkh al-ʻulūm wa-al-ādāb al-Suryāniyyah, 4th ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1987), p: 514.
- 4 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, The Scattered Pearls: A History of Syriac Literature and Sciences, trans. Matti Moosa, 2nd rev. ed. (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2003), p: 565.
How to Cite This Entry
Thomas A. Carlson et al., “Gawikat — ܕܝܪܐ ܕܓܘܝܟܐܬ ” in last modified January 14, 2014, http://syriaca.org/place/385.Show full citation information...
Bibliography:Thomas A. Carlson et al., “Gawikat — ܕܝܪܐ ܕܓܘܝܟܐܬ .” In , edited by ., edited by David A. Michelson et al.. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published January 14, 2014. http://syriaca.org/place/385.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Gawikat — ܕܝܪܐ ܕܓܘܝܟܐܬ
- Initial Barsoum entry creation by David A. Michelson
- Data merging, Pleiades and Wikipedia linking, and XML by Thomas A. Carlson
- Syriac description entry by Robert Aydin
- Arabic description entry by Dayroyo Roger-Youssef Akhrass
- Record validation, normalization, and revisions for the second edition (2.0) by David A. Michelson
- Record validation, normalization, and revisions for the second edition (2.0) by William L. Potter
- Record validation, normalization, and revisions for the second edition (2.0) by Daniel L. Schwartz