Pethion - ܦܬܝܘܢ (sometime between 765 - 1018)
http://syriaca.org/person/996 This page is an entry in A Guide to Syriac Authors
Whether this Pethion is to be identified with other Pethions of approximately the same period has been the subject of much discussion. He must have been active after 765-768, since Elijah of Nisibis cites him for events of this period, and before 1018, the likely date Elijah completed his work. Thus, as Wright recognized, he cannot be identified with the Catholicos Pethion, who died in 740 or 741. Berti suggests that he may be the same as Pethion of Elam, the addressee of Catholicos Timothy's letter 9 and the head of the School of Beth Lapaṭ (Gondeshapur). This would make sense, given the fact that Elijah's citations of Pethion's work have to do with the Christian physician George of the Bokhtishoʿ family connected with Beth Lapaṭ. The works of Ibn Sīnā (Canon of Medicine) and Ibn Abī Uṣaybiʿa (History of the Physicians), cite him as "Pethion the Translator" for events through the 850s. He thus seems to be identified with a Pethion appearing in Ibn al-Nadīm's Fihrist, who was apparently alive after the death of Ibn Kullāb in 854/855. For more details, see the entries linked above.
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 Peter Van Nuffelen et al. (eds.), Clavis Historicorum Tardae Antiquitatis (Ghent, Belgium: Universiteit Gent, 2013-2017), entry: Ecclesiastical history, Pethyon.
- 2 E. W Brooks (ed.), Eliae metropolitae Nisibeni opus chronologicum, I [Text], Corpus Scriptorum Christianorum Orientalium, vol. 62; Scriptores Syri, vol. 21; Scriptores Syri Series Tertia, vol. 7 (Paris: E Typographeo Reipublicae, 1910), pp: 178-179.
- 3 E. W Brooks (ed.), Eliae metropolitae Nisibeni opus chronologicum, I [Translation], Corpus Scriptorum Christianorum Orientalium, vol. 63; Scriptores Syri, vol. 23; Scriptores Syri Series Tertia, vol. 7 (Romae: Excudebat Karolus de Luigi, 1910), pp: 85.
- 4 William Wright, A Short History of Syriac Literature (London: Adam and Charles Black, 1894), pp: 194-195.
- 5 Anton Baumstark, Geschichte der syrischen Literatur mit Ausschluß der christlich-palästinensischen Texte (Bonn: A. Marcus und E. Webers Verlag Dr. jur. Albert Ahn, 1922), pp: 214, 214.
http://syriaca.org/person/996 Different from (2) records.
How to Cite This Entry
David A. Michelson et al., “Pethion — ܦܬܝܘܢ ” in A Guide to Syriac Authors last modified August 17, 2016, http://syriaca.org/person/996.Show full citation information...
Bibliography:David A. Michelson et al., “Pethion — ܦܬܝܘܢ .” In A Guide to Syriac Authors, edited by David A. Michelson and Nathan P. Gibson. Vol. 2 of The Syriac Biographical Dictionary, edited by David A. Michelson. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/996.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Pethion — ܦܬܝܘܢ
- Data from Macuch, Abuna, De Urbina, Duval, Assemani (vols. 1-2), Chabot, Wright, and Brock collected, verified, reconciled, and entered by Kristian Heal
- German data entry by Samer Khader
- Editing, document design, proofreading, data entry by David A. Michelson
- Matching with viaf.org records, data entry, data transformation, conversion to XML, and disambiguation by Nathan P. Gibson
- Editing, disambiguation research, conversion to XML by Thomas A. Carlson
Copyright and License for Reuse
Except otherwise noted, this page is © 2016.
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.