John Shahin of Amida - ܝܘܚܢܢ ܫܐܗܝܢ ܐܡܝܕܝܐ (d. 1755)
http://syriaca.org/person/567 This page is an entry in A Guide to Syriac Authors
“Scribe and bp. for various dioceses. He was born Yuḥanon b. Shahīn b. Shamo of Amid, also nicknamed b. al-ʿAraqjanji 'son of the maker of ʿarraqiyya (a small cap worn under a turban to absorb sweat)'.” 1
- ܝܘܚܢܢ ܫܐܗܝܢ ܐܡܝܕܝܐ
- ܡܛܪܘܦܘܠܝܛܐ ܝܘܚܢܢ ܫܐܗܝܢ ܐܡܝܕܝܐ4
- ܡܶܛܪܘܦܘܠܝܛܳܐ ܝܘܚܰܢܢ ܫܰܐܗܝܢ ܐܡܝܕܳܝܳܐ4
- المطران يوحنا شاهين الآمدي3
- Iwannis Yuḥanon1
- John Shahin of Amida
- Metropolitan John Shahin of Amid2
- Metropolitan 2
- Syr. Orth. 1
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 G. A. Kiraz, "Iwannis Yuḥanon." in Sebastian P. Brock et al. (eds.), The Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2011), pp: 224-225, 224-225.
- 2 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, The Scattered Pearls: A History of Syriac Literature and Sciences, trans. Matti Moosa, 2nd rev. ed. (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2003), pp: 21.
- 3 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, al-Luʼluʼ al-manthūr fī tārīkh al-ʻulūm wa-al-ādāb al-Suryāniyyah, 4th ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1987), pp: 30.
- 4 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, Berule bdire d-ʿal yulpone suryoye hdire, trans. Philoxenos Yuḥanon Dolabani, 2nd ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1991), pp: 41.
How to Cite This Entry
James E. Walters et al., “John Shahin of Amida — ܝܘܚܢܢ ܫܐܗܝܢ ܐܡܝܕܝܐ ” in A Guide to Syriac Authors last modified August 17, 2016, http://syriaca.org/person/567.Show full citation information...
Bibliography:James E. Walters et al., “John Shahin of Amida — ܝܘܚܢܢ ܫܐܗܝܢ ܐܡܝܕܝܐ .” In A Guide to Syriac Authors, edited by David A. Michelson and Nathan P. Gibson. Vol. 2 of The Syriac Biographical Dictionary, edited by David A. Michelson. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/567.
About this Entry
Entry Title: John Shahin of Amida — ܝܘܚܢܢ ܫܐܗܝܢ ܐܡܝܕܝܐ
- Editing, document design, proofreading, data entry by David A. Michelson
- Matching with viaf.org records, data entry, data transformation, conversion to XML by Nathan P. Gibson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English name entry, matching with viaf.org records by James E. Walters
- Editing, Syriac name entry, Arabic name entry, disambiguation research, conversion to XML by Thomas A. Carlson
- Normalization of GEDSH dates and entry matching with viaf.org records by Alex Vawter
- Editorial oversight for GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry, and proofreading by Christopher Johnson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry and proofreading by the Syriac Research Group, University of Alabama
- Proofreading of GEDSH abstracts and addition of confessions and alternate names from GEDSH by Nathan P. Gibson