Eutyches - ܐܘܛܘܟܐ (ca. 378 - ca. 454)
http://syriaca.org/person/482 This page is an entry in A Guide to Syriac Authors
Eutyches was a controversial and polemical monastic teacher active in Constantinople in the early fifth century. He opposed dyophysite (two-nature) Christology, but the precise nature of his own one-nature Christology is uncertain. He was condemned in 448 at a synod, restored in 449 at the Second Council of Ephesus, and condemned again at the Council of Chalcedon where he was championed by the Syriac monk Barsauma. In later theological discussions, Eutyches' one-nature Christology was equally condemned by Chalcedonian theologians and the Coptic and Syriac Orthodox Churches.
“His early life, of which hardly anything is known, was evidently as a monk, and then an archimandrite, in Constantinople where, by 448, he and his teaching evidently had an influential following.” 1
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 S. P. Brock, "Eutyches." in Sebastian P. Brock et al. (eds.), The Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2011), pp: 155-156, 155-156.
- 2 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, The Scattered Pearls: A History of Syriac Literature and Sciences, trans. Matti Moosa, 2nd rev. ed. (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2003), pp: 265.
- 3 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, al-Luʼluʼ al-manthūr fī tārīkh al-ʻulūm wa-al-ādāb al-Suryāniyyah, 4th ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1987), pp: 211.
- 4 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, Berule bdire d-ʿal yulpone suryoye hdire, trans. Philoxenos Yuḥanon Dolabani, 2nd ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1991), pp: 255.
How to Cite This Entry
James E. Walters et al., “Eutyches — ܐܘܛܘܟܐ ” in A Guide to Syriac Authors last modified August 17, 2016, http://syriaca.org/person/482.Show full citation information...
Bibliography:James E. Walters et al., “Eutyches — ܐܘܛܘܟܐ .” In A Guide to Syriac Authors, edited by David A. Michelson and Nathan P. Gibson. Vol. 2 of The Syriac Biographical Dictionary, edited by David A. Michelson. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/482.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Eutyches — ܐܘܛܘܟܐ
- Editing, document design, proofreading, data entry by David A. Michelson
- Matching with viaf.org records, data entry, data transformation, conversion to XML by Nathan P. Gibson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English name entry, matching with viaf.org records by James E. Walters
- Editing, Syriac name entry, Arabic name entry, disambiguation research, conversion to XML by Thomas A. Carlson
- Normalization of GEDSH dates and entry matching with viaf.org records by Alex Vawter
- Editorial oversight for GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry, and proofreading by Christopher Johnson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry and proofreading by the Syriac Research Group, University of Alabama
- Proofreading of GEDSH abstracts and addition of confessions and alternate names from GEDSH by Nathan P. Gibson