Joshua the Stylite - ܝܫܘܥ ܐܣܛܘܢܪܐ (not before 506)
http://syriaca.org/person/40 This page is an entry in A Guide to Syriac Authors
The historical person mentioned in the note inserted into the Chronicle of Zuqnin; not necessarily the author of the "Chronicle of (Ps.-)Joshua the Stylite" which ends in 506. “Author, possibly pseudonymous, of an important anonymous historical text bearing the title ‘A historical narrative of the period of distress which occurred in Edessa, Amid, and all Mesopotamia’.” 1
- ܝܫܘܥ ܐܣܛܘܢܪܐ
- ܩܫܝܫܐ ܝܫܘܥ ܐܣܛܘܢܪܐ4
- ܩܰܫܝܫܳܐ ܝܶܫܘܥ ܐܶܣܛܘܢܳܪܳܐ4
- القس يشوع العمودي3
- Joshua the Stylite1
- Joshua the Stylite
- The Priest Joshua the Stylite2
- Yeshuʿ the Stylite1
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 J. W. Watt, "Yeshuʿ the Stylite." in Sebastian P. Brock et al. (eds.), The Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2011), pp: 438-439.
- 2 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, The Scattered Pearls: A History of Syriac Literature and Sciences, trans. Matti Moosa, 2nd rev. ed. (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2003), entry: 37, pp: 254.
- 3 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, al-Luʼluʼ al-manthūr fī tārīkh al-ʻulūm wa-al-ādāb al-Suryāniyyah, 4th ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1987), pp: 218.
- 4 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, Berule bdire d-ʿal yulpone suryoye hdire, trans. Philoxenos Yuḥanon Dolabani, 2nd ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1991), pp: 245.
- 5 Anton Baumstark, Geschichte der syrischen Literatur mit Ausschluß der christlich-palästinensischen Texte (Bonn: A. Marcus und E. Webers Verlag Dr. jur. Albert Ahn, 1922), pp: 146.
24 Catalog Search Results from WorldCat
Based on VIAF ID. May contain inaccuracies. Not curated by Syriaca.org.
How to Cite This Entry
James E. Walters et al., “Joshua the Stylite — ܝܫܘܥ ܐܣܛܘܢܪܐ ” in A Guide to Syriac Authors last modified December 9, 2016, http://syriaca.org/person/40.Show full citation information...
Bibliography:James E. Walters et al., “Joshua the Stylite — ܝܫܘܥ ܐܣܛܘܢܪܐ .” In A Guide to Syriac Authors, edited by David A. Michelson and Nathan P. Gibson. Vol. 2 of The Syriac Biographical Dictionary, edited by David A. Michelson. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published December 9, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/40.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Joshua the Stylite — ܝܫܘܥ ܐܣܛܘܢܪܐ
- Data from Macuch, Abuna, De Urbina, Duval, Assemani (vols. 1-2), Chabot, Wright, and Brock collected, verified, reconciled, and entered by Kristian Heal
- German data entry by Samer Khader
- Editing, document design, proofreading, data entry by David A. Michelson
- Matching with viaf.org records, data entry, data transformation, conversion to XML by Nathan P. Gibson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English name entry, matching with viaf.org records by James E. Walters
- Editing, disambiguation research, conversion to XML by Thomas A. Carlson
- Syriac name entry by Robert Aydin
- Arabic name entry by Jad Kaado
- Normalization of GEDSH dates and entry matching with viaf.org records by Alex Vawter
- Editorial oversight for GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry, and proofreading by Christopher Johnson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry and proofreading by the Syriac Research Group, University of Alabama
- Proofreading of GEDSH abstracts and addition of confessions and alternate names from GEDSH by Nathan P. Gibson