Denha - ܕܢܚܐ (sometime between 750 - 950)
http://syriaca.org/person/160 This page is an entry in A Guide to Syriac Authors
- ܩܫܝܫܐ ܕܢܚܐ ܦܝܠܣܘܦܐ3
- ܩܰܫܝܫܳܐ ܕܰܢܚܳܐ ܦܺܝܠܳܣܘܦܐ3
- القس دنحا الفيلسوف2
- The Priest-Philosopher Denḥa2
- the Priest-Philosopher 1
Barsoum's assertion that this apparently West Syrian Denha is the same as the East Syrian Denha who wrote a commentary on the Psalms and several other works should be questioned. His placement of this Denha in the 9th century does not have any apparent basis besides this identification, and should also be held loosely.
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, The Scattered Pearls: A History of Syriac Literature and Sciences, trans. Matti Moosa, 2nd rev. ed. (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2003), entry: 159, pp: 390.
- 2 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, al-Luʼluʼ al-manthūr fī tārīkh al-ʻulūm wa-al-ādāb al-Suryāniyyah, 4th ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1987), pp: 342.
- 3 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, Berule bdire d-ʿal yulpone suryoye hdire, trans. Philoxenos Yuḥanon Dolabani, 2nd ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1991), pp: 371.
Denha Has literary connection to place (2) records.
Denha Possibly identical (1) records.
How to Cite This Entry
James E. Walters et al., “Denha — ܕܢܚܐ ” in A Guide to Syriac Authors last modified August 17, 2016, http://syriaca.org/person/160.Show full citation information...
Bibliography:James E. Walters et al., “Denha — ܕܢܚܐ .” In A Guide to Syriac Authors, edited by David A. Michelson and Nathan P. Gibson. Vol. 2 of The Syriac Biographical Dictionary, edited by David A. Michelson. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/160.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Denha — ܕܢܚܐ
- Editing, document design, proofreading, data entry by David A. Michelson
- Matching with viaf.org records, data entry, data transformation, conversion to XML by Nathan P. Gibson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English name entry, matching with viaf.org records by James E. Walters
- Editing, disambiguation research, conversion to XML by Thomas A. Carlson
- Syriac name entry by Robert Aydin
- Arabic name entry by Jad Kaado
- Normalization of GEDSH dates and entry matching with viaf.org records by Alex Vawter
- Editorial oversight for GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry, and proofreading by Christopher Johnson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry and proofreading by the Syriac Research Group, University of Alabama