Constantine, bishop of Edessa - ܩܘܣܛܢܛܝܢ ܕܐܘܪܗܝ (d. 735)
Constantine, bishop of Edessa was one of the most noted disciples of Jacob of Edessa with whom he was a monk at the Monastery of Eusebona. He held the office of bishop in several dioceses including, Emesa and, after the death of Jacob, Edessa. He also participated in the synod held at Manazgirt in 726.1
- ܩܘܣܛܢܛܝܢ ܕܐܘܪܗܝ
- Constantine, bishop of Edessa
- ܩܘܣܛܢܛܝܢ ܡܝܛܪܘܦܘܠܝܛܐ ܕܐܘܪܗܝ3
- ܩܘܣܛܰܢܛܝܢ ܡܝܛܪܘܦܘܠܝܛܐ ܕܐܘܪܗܳܝ3
- قسطنطين مطران الرها2
- Constantine of Edessa
- Constantine of Edessa
- Constantine, bishop of Edessa1
- Bishop of Edessa 1
Related Places in the Syriac Gazetteer
* This map displays 4 records. Only places with coordinates are displayed.
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, The Scattered Pearls: A History of Syriac Literature and Sciences, trans. Matti Moosa, 2nd rev. ed. (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2003), entry: 126, pp: 360.
- 2 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, al-Luʼluʼ al-manthūr fī tārīkh al-ʻulūm wa-al-ādāb al-Suryāniyyah, 4th ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1987), pp: 314.
- 3 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, Berule bdire d-ʿal yulpone suryoye hdire, trans. Philoxenos Yuḥanon Dolabani, 2nd ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1991), pp: 342.
- 4 Jean Maurice Fiey, Saints Syriaques (Princeton, N.J.: The Darwin Press, Inc., 2004), entry: 99.2.
- 5 Enciclopedia dei santi: le chiese orientali [= Bibliotheca sanctorum orientalium] (Roma: Città nuova, 1998)., : I, 569.
- 6 Paul Peeters, "Le martyrologe de Rabban Ṣalība." Analecta Bollandiana vol. 27 (1908).
Constantine, bishop of Edessa Different from (3) records.
Constantine, bishop of Edessa - ܩܘܣܛܢܛܝܢ ܕܐܘܪܗܝ (saint, 600 ) Names: ConstantinIn hagiography: Constantine was a seventh-century bishop of Edessa who may be the Constantine commemorated by Rabban Saliba .URI: http://syriaca.org/person/1839See all 3
Constantine, bishop of Edessa Has relation to place (4) records.
Eusebona (monastery) - ܕܝܪܐ ܕܡܪܝ ܐܘܣܒܘܢܐ Names: Eusebius MonasteryTeledaURI: http://syriaca.org/place/341
Edessa (settlement) - ܐܘܪܗܝ Names: UrfaAdmeAntiochia KallirhoeUrhayA city of Mesopotamia , the capital of the ancient kingdom of Osrhoene , modern Urfa.URI: http://syriaca.org/place/78See all 4
How to Cite This Entry
Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent et al., “Constantine, bishop of Edessa — ܩܘܣܛܢܛܝܢ ܕܐܘܪܗܝ ” in Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints last modified August 17, 2016, http://syriaca.org/person/126.Show full citation information...
Bibliography:Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent et al., “Constantine, bishop of Edessa — ܩܘܣܛܢܛܝܢ ܕܐܘܪܗܝ .” In Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints, edited by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent, David A. Michelson and Nathan P. Gibson. Vol. 1 of The Syriac Biographical Dictionary, edited by David A. Michelson. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/126.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Constantine, bishop of Edessa — ܩܘܣܛܢܛܝܢ ܕܐܘܪܗܝ
- Data from Macuch, Abuna, De Urbina, Duval, Assemani (vols. 1-2), Chabot, Wright, and Brock collected, verified, reconciled, and entered by Kristian Heal
- German data entry by Samer Khader
- Editing, proofreading, data entry and revision by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent
- Editing, document design, data architecture, encoding, proofreading, data entry by David A. Michelson
- Proofreading of GEDSH abstracts, addition of confessions and alternate names from GEDSH, matching with viaf.org records, data entry, data transformation, data merging, conversion to XML by Nathan P. Gibson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English name entry, matching with viaf.org records by James E. Walters
- Editing, Syriac name entry, disambiguation research, conversion to XML by Thomas A. Carlson
- Editing, Syriac data conversion, data entry, and reconciling by Adam P. Kane
- Editing and Syriac data proofreading by Aram Bar Schabo
- Syriac name entry by Robert Aydin
- Arabic name entry by Jad Kaado
- Normalization of GEDSH dates and entry matching with viaf.org records by Alex Vawter
- Editorial oversight for GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry, and proofreading by Christopher Johnson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry and proofreading by the Syriac Research Group, University of Alabama
- Entries adapted from the work of Jean Maurice Fiey
- Entries adapted from the work of Ugo Zanetti
- Entries adapted from the work of Claude Detienne