Elijah of Hirta - [ Syriac Not Available ] (sometime between 550 - 615)
http://syriaca.org/person/1221 This page is an entry in Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints
In hagiography: Elijah of Ḥirta(al-Hira) was a monastic founder from the sixth century. He was an Arab, a Lakhmid, who joined the monastery at Mount Izla and became a disciple of its founder, Abraham. He drove away corrupt monks. He left Mount Izla and established a monastery near Mosul. He was widely venerated by the Arab Christians.
- Elijah of Hirta
- ÉLIE DE AL-ḤĪRA1
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 Jean Maurice Fiey, Saints Syriaques (Princeton, N.J.: The Darwin Press, Inc., 2004), entry: 140.
- 3 Hersch Ram, Qissat Măr Ĕlĭă. Die Legende vom Hl. Elias., Leipziger semitistische studien, Bd. 2, Heft 3 (Leipzig: Hinrichs, 1907)
- 4 Paul Peeters and Société de Bollandistes, Bibliotheca hagiographica orientalis (1910)., : 207b, and different sources.
- 5 Jean Maurice Fiey, Assyrie chrétienne contribution à l'étude de l'histoire et de la géographie ecclésiastiques et monastiques du nord d'Iraq. (Beyrouth, 1965)., : II, 639-59.
- 6 Enciclopedia dei santi: le chiese orientali [= Bibliotheca sanctorum orientalium] (Roma: Città nuova, 1998)., : I, 754-55.
How to Cite This Entry
Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent et al., “Elijah of Hirta” in Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints last modified August 17, 2016, http://syriaca.org/person/1221.Show full citation information...
Bibliography:Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent et al., “Elijah of Hirta.” In Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints, edited by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent and David A. Michelson. Vol. 1 of Gateway to the Syriac Saints, edited by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent et al.. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/1221.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Elijah of Hirta
- Editing, proofreading, data entry and revision by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent
- Data architecture and encoding by David A. Michelson
- Editing, Syriac data conversion, data entry, and reconciling by Adam P. Kane
- Editing and Syriac data proofreading by Aram Bar Schabo
- Entries adapted from the work of Jean Maurice Fiey
- Entries adapted from the work of Ugo Zanetti
- Entries adapted from the work of Claude Detienne
Copyright and License for Reuse
Except otherwise noted, this page is © 2016.
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.