Bawai - [ Syriac Not Available ] (d. 484)
http://syriaca.org/person/1169 This page is an entry in Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints
In hagiography: Mar Bawai was commemorated as the Catholicos of the Church of the East from Tella. He was born a Zoroastrian and converted to Christianity through his encounter with a monk called Mar Abda from Qunni. He became a monk and was elected patriarch. His tenure was marked by the efforts of his rival Barsauma to "Nestorianize" the Church of the East. Bawai was killed, perhaps because Barsauma had accused him of being an enemy of the Sasanian empire.
- Martyr 1
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 Jean Maurice Fiey, Saints Syriaques (Princeton, N.J.: The Darwin Press, Inc., 2004), entry: 84.
- 3 Paul Bedjan (ed.), Acta martyrum et sanctorum (Parisiis; Lipsiae: Harrasssowitz, 1890)., : II, 631-34.
- 4 Paul Peeters and Société de Bollandistes, Bibliotheca hagiographica orientalis (1910)., : 126.
- 5 Addai Scher, Kitāb ašhar šuhadā' al-mašriq (Vies des saints martyrs d'Orient (Mossoul, 1900)., : II, 380-84.
- 6 Alfred Vacant et al. (eds.), Dictionnaire de théologie catholique, contenant l'exposé des doctrines de la théologie catholique, leurs preuves et leur histoire, (Paris: Letouzey et Ané, 1903)., : XII, col. 175-76.
- 7 Stephen. Gero, Barsauma of Nisibis and Persian Christianity in the fifth century (Lovanii: In Aedibus E. Peeters, 1981)., : Louvain, 1981; CSCO 426, Subsidia 63) , 97-109.
- 8 Alfred Baudrillart et al., Dictionnaire d'histoire et de géographie ecclésiastiques (Paris: Letouzey et Ané, 1912)., : VI col. 31.
How to Cite This Entry
Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent et al., “Bawai” in Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints last modified August 17, 2016, http://syriaca.org/person/1169.Show full citation information...
Bibliography:Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent et al., “Bawai.” In Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints, edited by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent and David A. Michelson. Vol. 1 of Gateway to the Syriac Saints, edited by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent et al.. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/1169.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Bawai
- Editing, proofreading, data entry and revision by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent
- Data architecture and encoding by David A. Michelson
- Editing, Syriac data conversion, data entry, and reconciling by Adam P. Kane
- Editing and Syriac data proofreading by Aram Bar Schabo
- Entries adapted from the work of Jean Maurice Fiey
- Entries adapted from the work of Ugo Zanetti
- Entries adapted from the work of Claude Detienne
Copyright and License for Reuse
Except otherwise noted, this page is © 2016.
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.