Monastery of Prophet Elijah - ܕܝܪܐ ܕܩܢܩܪܬ

http://syriaca.org/place/378
A monastery near Qanqart about 8 km. southwest of Amid.

Place Type: monastery

Brief Descriptions

  • ܒܫܶܡ ܐܠܝܐ ܢܺܒܝܐ. ܠܒܰܪ ܡܶܢ ܐܳܡܝ̣ܕ ܗܘ ܡܰܪܕܶܐ ܫܳܥܐ ܘܦܶܠܓܳܐ ܠܘܳܬ ܩܰܢܩܪܰܬ ܩܪܝܬܳܐ ܕܟܺܝܪ ܫܢܰܬ 1050 ܘܚܰܕܶܬܘ ܒܶܢܝܳܢܰܘ̈ܗܝ ܡܝܟܳܐܝܠ ܪܰܒܐ ܫܢܬ 1173 ܘܐܝܓܢܰܐܛܝܘܣ ܫܟܪܐܠܠܗ ܫܢܰܬ 1730 ܘܐܶܬܓܰܙܝ ܡܶܢ ܐܢ̈ܫܰܘܗܝ ܒܫܘܪܳܝܐ ܕܡܰܐܬܐ ܬܫܰܥܣܝܪܳܝܬܐ. ܘܩܳܡܰܬ ܒܕܘܟܬܗ ܩܪܝܬܐ ܕܡܶܬܐܡܰܪ ܠܗ ܬܘܪܟܳܐܝܬ ܩܰܪܰܗ ܟܺܝܠܺܝܣܰܐ ܗܳܢܰܘ ܥܕܬܐ ܐܘܟܳܡܬܐ. ܡܶܛܠ ܐܘܟܳܡܘܬܐ ܕܐܰܬܪ̈ܘܳܬܐ ܗܳܢܘܢ ܘܰܥܕܰܡܐ ܠܝܰܘܡܳܢ ܩܳܝ̈ܡܝܢ ܚܰܪ̈ܒܬܳܗ̇2
  • باسم ايليا النبي بظاهر مدينة ديار بكر مسيرة ساعة ونصف عنها عند قرية قنقرت ذكر سنة 1050 وجدد ميخائيل الكبير عمارته عام 1173 ثم اغناطيوس شكرالله سنة 1730 وخلا من اهله في اوائل المئة التاسعة عشرة وقامت مكانه قرية يقال لها قره كليسا (الكنيسة السوداء لسواد حجارة تلك الديار) ولا تزال اطلاله ماثلة.3
  • built in the name of the prophet Elijah near Qanqart, a journey of an hour and a half from Diyarbakir, was first mentioned in history in 1050. It was twice renovated, once by Patriarch Michael the Great in 1173 and again in 1730 by Patriarch Ignatius Shukr Allah. It was abandoned at the start of the nineteenth century and on its site today stands a village called Qara Kelisa (“The Black Church,” because of the black stones of the area). Its remains are still visible. See the Patriarchal Magazine, VI, 144-153.4

Corrigenda

    In Dolabani's translation of Barsoum's description ܐܠܝܐ ܢܺܒܝܐ should read ܐܠܝܐ ܢܒܺܝܐ.
  Is this record complete?

Works Cited

Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.

  • 1 Sebastian P. Brock et al. (eds.), The Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2011), pp: 18.Link to Syriaca.org Bibliographic Record
  • 2 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, Berule bdire d-ʿal yulpone suryoye hdire, trans. Philoxenos Yuḥanon Dolabani, 2nd ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1991), pp: 551.Link to Syriaca.org Bibliographic Record
  • 3 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, al-Luʼluʼ al-manthūr fī tārīkh al-ʻulūm wa-al-ādāb al-Suryāniyyah, 4th ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1987), pp: 513.Link to Syriaca.org Bibliographic Record
  • 4 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, The Scattered Pearls: A History of Syriac Literature and Sciences, trans. Matti Moosa, 2nd rev. ed. (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2003), pp: 567.Link to Syriaca.org Bibliographic Record

Names

  • ܕܝܪܐ ܕܩܢܩܪܬ
  • Monastery of Prophet Elijah1
  • ܕܰܝܪܐ ܕܩܰܢܩܪܬ2
  • ܩܰܪܰܗ ܟܺܝܠܺܝܣܰܐ2
  • دير قَنْقرت3
  • قره كليسا3
  • Qanqart Monastery4
  • Qara Kelisa4

How to Cite This Entry

Thomas A. Carlson et al., “Monastery of Prophet Elijah — ܕܝܪܐ ܕܩܢܩܪܬ ” in The Syriac Gazetteer last modified February 6, 2014, http://syriaca.org/place/378.

Bibliography:

Thomas A. Carlson et al., “Monastery of Prophet Elijah — ܕܝܪܐ ܕܩܢܩܪܬ .” In The Syriac Gazetteer, edited by Thomas A. Carlson and David A. Michelson. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published February 6, 2014. http://syriaca.org/place/378.

About this Entry

Entry Title: Monastery of Prophet Elijah — ܕܝܪܐ ܕܩܢܩܪܬ

Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:

  • David A. Michelson, general editor, Syriaca.org: The Syriac Reference Portal
  • Thomas A. Carlson and David A. Michelson, editors, The Syriac Gazetteer
  • Thomas A. Carlson and David A. Michelson, entry contributors, “Monastery of Prophet Elijah — ܕܝܪܐ ܕܩܢܩܪܬ

Additional Credit:

  • Initial Barsoum entry creation by David A. Michelson
  • Data merging, Pleiades and Wikipedia linking, and XML by Thomas A. Carlson
  • Syriac description entry by Robert Aydin
  • Arabic description entry by Dayroyo Roger-Youssef Akhrass

Copyright and License for Reuse

Except otherwise noted, this page is © 2014.

Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.

This entry incorporates copyrighted material from the following work(s):

used under a Creative Commons Attribution license

Show full citation information...