Sergius the Stylite - ܣܪܓܝܣ ܐܣܛܘܢܪܐ (sometime between 700 - 800)
http://syriaca.org/person/81 This page is an entry in A Guide to Syriac Authors
“A ‘Letter’ attributed to ‘Sargis the Stylite of Gusit’ (near Ḥimṣ) ‘against a Jew who argued that God has no son, and that God has not begotten’ is preserved in a single ms. of the 8th/9th cent.” 1
- ܣܪܓܝܣ ܐܣܛܘܢܪܐ4
- Sergius the Stylite
- ܣܰܪܓܝܣ ܐܶܣܛܘܢܳܪܐ4
- سرجيس العمودي3
- Sergius Stylita7
- Sergius the Stylite of Gusit
- Sargis the Stylite1
- Sergius the Stylite2, 10
- the Stylite 2
- Syr. Orth. 1
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 S. P. Brock, "Sargis the Stylite." in Sebastian P. Brock et al. (eds.), The Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2011), pp: 360.
- 2 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, The Scattered Pearls: A History of Syriac Literature and Sciences, trans. Matti Moosa, 2nd rev. ed. (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2003), entry: 76, pp: 312.
- 3 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, al-Luʼluʼ al-manthūr fī tārīkh al-ʻulūm wa-al-ādāb al-Suryāniyyah, 4th ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1987), pp: 272.
- 4 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, Berule bdire d-ʿal yulpone suryoye hdire, trans. Philoxenos Yuḥanon Dolabani, 2nd ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1991), pp: 298.
- 5 Sergey Minov (ed.), A Comprehensive Bibliography on Syriac Christianity (The Center for the Study of Christianity, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2013), entry: Sergius the Stylite.
- 6 Anton Baumstark, Geschichte der syrischen Literatur mit Ausschluß der christlich-palästinensischen Texte (Bonn: A. Marcus und E. Webers Verlag Dr. jur. Albert Ahn, 1922), pp: 180.
- 7 Ignatius Ortiz de Urbina, Patrologia Syriaca, Altera editio emendata et aucta (Romae: Pont. Institutum Orientalium Studiorum, 1965), section: 45.
- 8 Sebastian Paul Brock, A Brief Outline of Syriac Literature, 2nd ed., rev. and enlarged , Mōrān ʾEthʾō, vol. 9 (Kottayam: St. Ephrem Ecumenical Research Institute, 2008), pp: 51.
10 Catalog Search Results from WorldCat
Based on VIAF ID. May contain inaccuracies. Not curated by Syriaca.org.
- The disputation of Sergius the Stylite against a Jew
- The life of Rabban Hôrmîzd and the foundation of his monastery at al-Kôsh, a metrical discourse
- The disputation of Sergius the Stylite against a Jew : ed. consilio Universitatis Catholicae Americae ...
- The disputation of Sergius the Stylite against a jew
How to Cite This Entry
James E. Walters et al., “Sergius the Stylite — ܣܪܓܝܣ ܐܣܛܘܢܪܐ ” in A Guide to Syriac Authors last modified August 17, 2016, http://syriaca.org/person/81.Show full citation information...
Bibliography:James E. Walters et al., “Sergius the Stylite — ܣܪܓܝܣ ܐܣܛܘܢܪܐ .” In A Guide to Syriac Authors, edited by David A. Michelson and Nathan P. Gibson. Vol. 2 of The Syriac Biographical Dictionary, edited by David A. Michelson. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/81.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Sergius the Stylite — ܣܪܓܝܣ ܐܣܛܘܢܪܐ
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- David A. Michelson, general editor, Syriaca.org: The Syriac Reference Portal
- David A. Michelson and Nathan P. Gibson, editors, A Guide to Syriac Authors
- James E. Walters, David A. Michelson, Thomas A. Carlson, Nathan P. Gibson, and Kristian Heal, entry contributors, “Sergius the Stylite — ܣܪܓܝܣ ܐܣܛܘܢܪܐ ”
- Data from Macuch, Abuna, De Urbina, Duval, Assemani (vols. 1-2), Chabot, Wright, and Brock collected, verified, reconciled, and entered by Kristian Heal
- German data entry by Samer Khader
- Editing, document design, proofreading, data entry by David A. Michelson
- Matching with viaf.org records, data entry, data transformation, conversion to XML by Nathan P. Gibson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English name entry, matching with viaf.org records by James E. Walters
- Editing, disambiguation research, conversion to XML by Thomas A. Carlson
- Syriac name entry by Robert Aydin
- Arabic name entry by Jad Kaado
- Normalization of GEDSH dates and entry matching with viaf.org records by Alex Vawter
- Editorial oversight for GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry, and proofreading by Christopher Johnson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry and proofreading by the Syriac Research Group, University of Alabama
- Proofreading of GEDSH abstracts and addition of confessions and alternate names from GEDSH by Nathan P. Gibson