“Bp. of Seleucia-Ctesiphon and Cath. When Yahbalaha was elected, the Christians in the Persian Empire enjoyed the freedom accorded to them by Emperor Yazdgard I and formally laid down in the Synod of Isḥaq (410).” 1
- Ch. of E. 1
- In hagiography:
- Yahbalaha I is commemorated in Yahballaha (text) — [http://syriaca.org/work/1045] . ()3
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 L. Van Rompay, " Yahbalaha I," in Sebastian P. Brock et al. (eds.), The Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage ( Piscataway, NJ: Gorgias Press, 2011) http://syriaca.org/bibl/586, pp: 429.
- 2 Sergey Minov (ed.), A Comprehensive Bibliography on Syriac Christianity ( The Center for the Study of Christianity, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2013) http://syriaca.org/bibl/5, entry: Yahbalaha I.
- 3 Ugo Zanetti and Claude Detienne, Bibliotheca Hagiographica Syriaca http://syriaca.org/bibl/649, entry: 866.
- 4 Anton Baumstark, Geschichte der syrischen Literatur mit Ausschluß der christlich-palästinensischen Texte ( Bonn: A. Marcus und E. Webers Verlag Dr. jur. Albert Ahn, 1922) http://syriaca.org/bibl/638, pp: 55.
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:Saint-Laurent, Jeanne-Nicole et al., “ Yahbalaha I — ܝܗܒܐܠܗܐ ܩܕܡܝܐ .” In Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints, edited by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent, David A. Michelson and Nathan P. Gibson. Vol. 1 of The Syriac Biographical Dictionary, edited by David A. Michelson. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/809.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Yahbalaha I — ܝܗܒܐܠܗܐ ܩܕܡܝܐ
Publication Date: August 17, 2016
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- David A. Michelson, general editor, Syriaca.org: The Syriac Reference Portal
- Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent, David A. Michelson, and Nathan P. Gibson, editors, Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints
- Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent, David A. Michelson, Nathan P. Gibson, James E. Walters, Thomas A. Carlson, and Kristian Heal, entry contributors, “ Yahbalaha I — ܝܗܒܐܠܗܐ ܩܕܡܝܐ ”
- Data from Macuch, Abuna, De Urbina, Duval, Assemani (vols. 1-2), Chabot, Wright, and Brock collected, verified, reconciled, and entered by Kristian Heal
- German data entry by Samer Khader
- Editing, proofreading, data entry and revision by Jeanne-Nicole Saint-Laurent
- Editing, document design, data architecture, encoding, proofreading, data entry by David A. Michelson
- Proofreading of GEDSH abstracts, addition of confessions and alternate names from GEDSH, matching with viaf.org records, data entry, data transformation, data merging, conversion to XML by Nathan P. Gibson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English name entry, matching with viaf.org records by James E. Walters
- Editing, Syriac name entry, disambiguation research, conversion to XML by Thomas A. Carlson
- Editing, Syriac data conversion, data entry, and reconciling by Adam P. Kane
- Editing and Syriac data proofreading by Aram Bar Schabo
- Syriac name entry by Robert Aydin
- Normalization of GEDSH dates and entry matching with viaf.org records by Alex Vawter
- Editorial oversight for GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry, and proofreading by Christopher Johnson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry and proofreading by the Syriac Research Group, University of Alabama
- Entries adapted from the work of J. M. Fiey
- Entries adapted from the work of Ugo Zanetti
- Entries adapted from the work of Claude Detienne