Masius, Andreas - ܐܢܕܪܐܘܣ ܡܐܣܝܘܣ (1514 - 1573)
http://syriaca.org/person/625 This page is an entry in A Guide to Syriac Authors
“Humanist, early scholar of Syriac. Born in the village of Lennik, near Brussels, Masius studied Hebrew, Greek, and Latin in Louvain. Throughout his life he combined his intellectual curiosity with his diplomatic skills, traveling through Europe, often in the service of ecclesiastical or political authorities.” 1
- ܐܢܕܪܐܘܣ ܡܐܣܝܘܣ4
- Masius, Andreas
- ܐܰܢܕܪܰܐܘܣ ܡܰܐܣܝܘܣ4
- اندراوس ماسيوس3
- Masius, Andreas1
- Masius, Andreas2
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 L. Van Rompay, "Masius, Andreas." in Sebastian P. Brock et al. (eds.), The Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2011), pp: 275-276, 275-276.
- 2 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, The Scattered Pearls: A History of Syriac Literature and Sciences, trans. Matti Moosa, 2nd rev. ed. (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2003), pp: 527.
- 3 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, al-Luʼluʼ al-manthūr fī tārīkh al-ʻulūm wa-al-ādāb al-Suryāniyyah, 4th ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1987), pp: 473.
- 4 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, Berule bdire d-ʿal yulpone suryoye hdire, trans. Philoxenos Yuḥanon Dolabani, 2nd ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1991), pp: 505.
- 5 Sergey Minov (ed.), A Comprehensive Bibliography on Syriac Christianity (The Center for the Study of Christianity, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2013), entry: Masius.
How to Cite This Entry
James E. Walters et al., “Masius, Andreas — ܐܢܕܪܐܘܣ ܡܐܣܝܘܣ ” in A Guide to Syriac Authors last modified August 17, 2016, http://syriaca.org/person/625.Show full citation information...
Bibliography:James E. Walters et al., “Masius, Andreas — ܐܢܕܪܐܘܣ ܡܐܣܝܘܣ .” In A Guide to Syriac Authors, edited by David A. Michelson and Nathan P. Gibson. Vol. 2 of The Syriac Biographical Dictionary, edited by David A. Michelson. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/625.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Masius, Andreas — ܐܢܕܪܐܘܣ ܡܐܣܝܘܣ
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- David A. Michelson, general editor, Syriaca.org: The Syriac Reference Portal
- David A. Michelson and Nathan P. Gibson, editors, A Guide to Syriac Authors
- James E. Walters, David A. Michelson, Thomas A. Carlson, and Nathan P. Gibson, entry contributors, “Masius, Andreas — ܐܢܕܪܐܘܣ ܡܐܣܝܘܣ ”
- Editing, document design, proofreading, data entry by David A. Michelson
- Matching with viaf.org records, data entry, data transformation, conversion to XML by Nathan P. Gibson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English name entry, matching with viaf.org records by James E. Walters
- Editing, Syriac name entry, Arabic name entry, disambiguation research, conversion to XML by Thomas A. Carlson
- Normalization of GEDSH dates and entry matching with viaf.org records by Alex Vawter
- Editorial oversight for GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry, and proofreading by Christopher Johnson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry and proofreading by the Syriac Research Group, University of Alabama
- Proofreading of GEDSH abstracts and addition of confessions and alternate names from GEDSH by Nathan P. Gibson