Alexius, the Man of God - ܓܒܪܐ ܕܐܠܗܐ (5th cent.)
- ܓܒܪܐ ܕܐܠܗܐ5
- Alexius, the Man of God
- ܐܠܟܣܝܘܣ ܪܘܡܝܐ (ܓܒܪܐ ܕܐܠܗܐ)4
- ܐܰܠܟܣܝܘܣ ܪܘܡܳܝܐ (ܓܰܒܪܐ ܕܰܐܠܗܳܐ)4
- الكسيوس الروماني (رجل الله)3
- Gabra d-ʾAlāhā
- gaḇrā d-ʾAlāhā5
- St Alexis7
- Alexius the Roman (the Man of God)2
- Alexius, the Man of God2
- Alexius, the Man of God2
- Man of God of Edessa1
*Timeline generated with http://timeline.knightlab.com/
- Floruit: 5th cent.
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 R. Doran, "Man of God of Edessa." in Sebastian P. Brock et al. (eds.), The Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2011), pp: 260.
- 2 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, The Scattered Pearls: A History of Syriac Literature and Sciences, trans. Matti Moosa, 2nd rev. ed. (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2003), pp: 173.
- 3 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, al-Luʼluʼ al-manthūr fī tārīkh al-ʻulūm wa-al-ādāb al-Suryāniyyah, 4th ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1987), pp: 150.
- 4 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, Berule bdire d-ʿal yulpone suryoye hdire, trans. Philoxenos Yuḥanon Dolabani, 2nd ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1991), pp: 172.
- 5 Ugo Zanetti and Claude Detienne, Bibliotheca Hagiographica Syriaca, entry: 890, 1125.
- 6 Jean Maurice Fiey, Saints Syriaques (Princeton, N.J.: The Darwin Press, Inc., 2004), entry: 366.
- 7 Sergey Minov (ed.), A Comprehensive Bibliography on Syriac Christianity (The Center for the Study of Christianity, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2013), entry: St Alexis.
- 8 Stewards of the Poor: The Man of God, Rabbula, and Hiba in Fifth-Century Edessa, trans. Robert Doran (Kalamazoo, Mich.: Cistercian Publications, 2006).
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent et al., “Alexius, the Man of God — ܓܒܪܐ ܕܐܠܗܐ .” In Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints, edited by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent, David A. Michelson and Nathan P. Gibson. Vol. 1 of The Syriac Biographical Dictionary, edited by David A. Michelson. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/607.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Alexius, the Man of God — ܓܒܪܐ ܕܐܠܗܐ
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- David A. Michelson, general editor, Syriaca.org: The Syriac Reference Portal
- Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent, David A. Michelson, and Nathan P. Gibson, editors, Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints
- Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent, David A. Michelson, Nathan P. Gibson, James E. Walters, and Thomas A. Carlson, entry contributors, “Alexius, the Man of God — ܓܒܪܐ ܕܐܠܗܐ ”
- Editing, proofreading, data entry and revision by Jeanne-Nicole Mellon Saint-Laurent
- Editing, document design, data architecture, encoding, proofreading, data entry by David A. Michelson
- Proofreading of GEDSH abstracts, addition of confessions and alternate names from GEDSH, matching with viaf.org records, data entry, data transformation, data merging, conversion to XML by Nathan P. Gibson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English name entry, matching with viaf.org records by James E. Walters
- Editing, Syriac name entry, disambiguation research, conversion to XML by Thomas A. Carlson
- Editing, Syriac data conversion, data entry, and reconciling by Adam P. Kane
- Editing and Syriac data proofreading by Aram Bar Schabo
- Syriac name entry by Robert Aydin
- Editing, Syriac name entry, Arabic name entry, disambiguation research, conversion to XML by Thomas A. Carlson
- Normalization of GEDSH dates and entry matching with viaf.org records by Alex Vawter
- Editorial oversight for GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry, and proofreading by Christopher Johnson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry and proofreading by the Syriac Research Group, University of Alabama
- Entries adapted from the work of Jean Maurice Fiey
- Entries adapted from the work of Ugo Zanetti
- Entries adapted from the work of Claude Detienne