Benjamin, metropolitan of Edessa - ܒܢܝܡܝܢ ܕܐܘܪܗܝ (d. 843)
http://syriaca.org/person/152 This page is an entry in A Guide to Syriac Authors
“Metropolitan bp. of Edessa, professor of dogma, commentator on the homilies of Gregory of Nazianzus and on the works of Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite.” 1
- ܒܢܝܡܝܢ ܕܐܘܪܗܝ
- Benjamin, metropolitan of Edessa
- ܒܢܝܡܝܢ ܡܝܛܪܘܦܘܠܝܛܐ ܕܐܘܪܗܝ4
- ܒܶܢܝܳܡܝܢ ܡܝܛܪܘܦܘܠܝܛܳܐ ܕܐܘܪܗܳܝ4
- بنيامين مطران الرها3
- Benjamin of Edessa
- Benjamin of Edessa1, 10
- Benjamin, metropolitan of Edessa2
- Metropolitan of Edessa 2
- Syr. Orth. 1
Related Places in the Syriac Gazetteer
* This map displays 5 records. Only places with coordinates are displayed.
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 L. Van Rompay, "Benjamin of Edessa." in Sebastian P. Brock et al. (eds.), The Gorgias Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Syriac Heritage (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2011), pp: 69-70.
- 2 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, The Scattered Pearls: A History of Syriac Literature and Sciences, trans. Matti Moosa, 2nd rev. ed. (Piscataway,NJ: Gorgias Press, 2003), entry: 151, pp: 382.
- 3 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, al-Luʼluʼ al-manthūr fī tārīkh al-ʻulūm wa-al-ādāb al-Suryāniyyah, 4th ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1987), pp: 335.
- 4 Ignatius Afram Barsoum, Berule bdire d-ʿal yulpone suryoye hdire, trans. Philoxenos Yuḥanon Dolabani, 2nd ed. (Holland: Bar Hebraeus Verlag, 1991), pp: 363.
- 5 Sergey Minov (ed.), A Comprehensive Bibliography on Syriac Christianity (The Center for the Study of Christianity, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2013), entry: Benjamin of Edessa.
- 6 Anton Baumstark, Geschichte der syrischen Literatur mit Ausschluß der christlich-palästinensischen Texte (Bonn: A. Marcus und E. Webers Verlag Dr. jur. Albert Ahn, 1922), pp: 276.
Benjamin, metropolitan of Edessa Has relation to place (5)
Mor Yaʿqub Malpono (monastery) - ܕܝܪܐ ܕܡܪܝ ܝܥܩܘܒ ܡܠܦܢܐ Names: Jacob the Doctor of the Church MonasteryNawawīs MonasteryMor Yaqub Malpono Mor Ya‘qub Malpono URI: http://syriaca.org/place/398
Cyrrhus (settlement) - ܩܘܪܘܣAn ancient and medieval city 70 km north of Aleppo.URI: http://syriaca.org/place/65
al-Jabal al-Muqaddas (mountain) - [Syriac Not Available] Names: The Holy MountainURI: http://syriaca.org/place/319
Tell ʿAda (monastery) - ܕܝܪܐ ܕܬܠܥܕܐ Names: Talʿada MonasteryGreat Monasterymonastery of Tell AdaTell AdaTell ‘AdaTalada MonasteryTal‘ada Monastery"The Monastery of Tell ʿAda also known as the Great Monastery is located just over 48 km from Aleppo 1500 m north of..."URI: http://syriaca.org/place/233See all 5
How to Cite This Entry
James E. Walters et al., “Benjamin, metropolitan of Edessa — ܒܢܝܡܝܢ ܕܐܘܪܗܝ ” in A Guide to Syriac Authors last modified August 17, 2016, http://syriaca.org/person/152.Show full citation information...
Bibliography:James E. Walters et al., “Benjamin, metropolitan of Edessa — ܒܢܝܡܝܢ ܕܐܘܪܗܝ .” In A Guide to Syriac Authors, edited by David A. Michelson and Nathan P. Gibson. Vol. 2 of The Syriac Biographical Dictionary, edited by David A. Michelson. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/152.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Benjamin, metropolitan of Edessa — ܒܢܝܡܝܢ ܕܐܘܪܗܝ
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- David A. Michelson, general editor, Syriaca.org: The Syriac Reference Portal
- David A. Michelson and Nathan P. Gibson, editors, A Guide to Syriac Authors
- James E. Walters, David A. Michelson, Thomas A. Carlson, Nathan P. Gibson, and Kristian Heal, entry contributors, “Benjamin, metropolitan of Edessa — ܒܢܝܡܝܢ ܕܐܘܪܗܝ ”
- Data from Macuch, Abuna, De Urbina, Duval, Assemani (vols. 1-2), Chabot, Wright, and Brock collected, verified, reconciled, and entered by Kristian Heal
- German data entry by Samer Khader
- Editing, document design, proofreading, data entry by David A. Michelson
- Matching with viaf.org records, data entry, data transformation, conversion to XML by Nathan P. Gibson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English name entry, matching with viaf.org records by James E. Walters
- Editing, disambiguation research, conversion to XML by Thomas A. Carlson
- Syriac name entry by Robert Aydin
- Arabic name entry by Jad Kaado
- Normalization of GEDSH dates and entry matching with viaf.org records by Alex Vawter
- Editorial oversight for GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry, and proofreading by Christopher Johnson
- GEDSH and Barsoum English text entry and proofreading by the Syriac Research Group, University of Alabama
- Proofreading of GEDSH abstracts and addition of confessions and alternate names from GEDSH by Nathan P. Gibson