Behnam - ܒܗܢܡ(between 300 - 400) saint
Behnām and his sister Sara were high-born Christian martyrs who were the children of Sennacherib. They converted to Christianity through a monk, Mattai, and were killed by their father. Their father later repented and became a Christian and with his wife Queen Shirin. Sennacherib and Shirin built monasteries for Mar Mattai and Abraham near Mosul.
- Martyr 2
- Behnam is commemorated in Behnam (text) [http://syriaca.org/work/1858] . ()2
- Behnam is commemorated in Behnam (text) [http://syriaca.org/work/2034] . ()2
- Behnam is commemorated in Behnam and his Companions (text) [http://syriaca.org/work/1625] . ()2
- Behnam is commemorated in Behnam and his Companions (text) [http://syriaca.org/work/1833] . ()2
- Behnam is commemorated in Behnam and his Companions (text) [http://syriaca.org/work/1395] . ()2
- Behnam is commemorated in Behnam and Sara (text) [http://syriaca.org/work/286] . ()2
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 Ugo Zanetti and Claude Detienne, Bibliotheca Hagiographica Syriaca http://syriaca.org/bibl/649, entry: 1811, 2004, 1546, 1783, 1265, 65.
- 2 Jean Maurice Fiey, Saints Syriaques ( Princeton, N.J.: The Darwin Press, Inc., 2004) http://syriaca.org/bibl/650, entry: 86.
- 3 Paul Bedjan (ed.), Acta martyrum et sanctorum ( Parisiis; Lipsiae: Harrasssowitz, 1890), : II, 397-441.
- 4 Paul Peeters and Société de Bollandistes, Bibliotheca hagiographica orientalis ( 1910), : 177.
- 5 Georg Hoffmann, Auszüge aus syrischen Akten persischer Märtyrer ( Leipzig: Brockhaus, 1880), : 17-19.
- 6 Addai Scher, Kitāb ašhar šuhadā' al-mašriq (Vies des saints martyrs d'Orient ( Mossoul, 1900), : I, 291-306.
- 7 Alfred Baudrillart et al., Dictionnaire d'histoire et de géographie ecclésiastiques ( Paris: Letouzey et Ané, 1912), : VI, col. 477.
- 8 Jean Maurice Fiey, Assyrie chrétienne contribution à l'étude de l'histoire et de la géographie ecclésiastiques et monastiques du nord d'Iraq. ( Beyrouth, 1965), : II, 565-613.
- 9 Helen Younansardaroud, " Die Legende von Mar Behnam," in Deutsches Syrologie-Symposium and Martin Tamcke (eds.), Syriaca : zur Geschichte, Theologie, Liturgie und Gegenwartslage der syrischen Kirchen ; 2. Deutsches Syrologen-Symposium (Juli 2000, Wittenberg) ( 2002), : (Wittenberg, 2002), 185-96.
- 10 Sergey Minov (ed.), A Comprehensive Bibliography on Syriac Christianity ( The Center for the Study of Christianity, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2013) http://syriaca.org/bibl/5, entry: Mar Behnam.
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:Saint-Laurent, Jeanne-Nicole et al., “ Behnam — ܒܗܢܡ .” In Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints, edited by Jeanne-Nicole Saint-Laurent and David A. Michelson. Vol. 1 of Gateway to the Syriac Saints, edited by Jeanne-Nicole Saint-Laurent et al.. Syriaca.org, 2016-. Entry published August 17, 2016. http://syriaca.org/person/1171.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Behnam — ܒܗܢܡ
Publication Date: August 17, 2016
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- David A. Michelson, general editor, Syriaca.org: The Syriac Reference Portal
- Jeanne-Nicole Saint-Laurent and David A. Michelson, editors, Qadishe: A Guide to the Syriac Saints
- Saint-Laurent, Jeanne-Nicole and David A. Michelson, entry contributors, “ Behnam — ܒܗܢܡ ”
- Editing, proofreading, data entry and revision by Jeanne-Nicole Saint-Laurent
- Data architecture and encoding by David A. Michelson
- Editing, Syriac data conversion, data entry, and reconciling by Adam P. Kane
- Editing and Syriac data proofreading by Aram Bar Schabo
- Entries adapted from the work of J. M. Fiey
- Entries adapted from the work of Ugo Zanetti
- Entries adapted from the work of Claude Detienne